The previous week I ran into an unexpected problem: It turns out that the Google Maps API Terms of Service may prevent me from using the API in my summer of code project. This despite of the fact that I only use the map controls, and not the map data. The problematic clause is the following:
The API may be used only for services that are generally accessible to consumers without charge. Accordingly, You may not use the API for any service that requires a subscription or other restricted access, or for which a fee is charged.
An OpenMRS deployer must necessarily restrict access to the patient data.
Fortunately, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. (Though it might be from an oncoming train) I have been spending some time looking into alternatives in case I have to drop Google Maps completely. OpenLayers, for example, looks promising. It doesn't seem as polished as Google Maps, but it should work.
Because of all this I have put the image viewer itself on hold, and have instead focused on the back-end parts of the project. I've been looking at bmckown's complex obs system, and am now running the complex obs build of OpenMRS locally. I've written a simple module that tries to interact with the complex obs system, and I've almost completed a preliminary implementation of an image tile carver, (resizing images and carving them into 256x256 pixel squares upon request) implemented as a ComplexObsHandler.

2 comments:
Good news Tor... I've put into motion an inquiry that might very well allow you to use the GMaps API... I'll get back to you soon.
That is excellent! Hope it works out.
Post a Comment